Friday, July 2, 2010

Angels Camp

We went to Angels Camp, California this week with just my little family. We hardly ever go somewhere with just us, and it was great. We always travel to see family, which I love, but this is nice too. But man it's hard traveling with small children! There is so much work, before, during, and after! But it was worth it.

Angels Camp is about 2 hours east of where I live. It's a gold rush history area. We stayed in a time share resort. The pools were the best part, that's what my boys wanted to do. But anyone who knows us well, knows that when we travel, my kids get sick! Particularly Justin!!! So of course, I pack my whole medicine cabinet so that I'm prepared, but I wasn't prepared this time. We got there Sunday evening and by Monday morning Justin was wheezing bad and having trouble breathing. He hasn't had asthma problems in years, he did as a baby, but he's been fine. So I have a bunch of medication at home that never gets used. We had to get his doctor to transfer perscriptions over to us and we paid $200 on things we have at home! But of course it was worth it, it was a little scary watching him breath so fast. Once he got the meds in him though, he did much better and we were able to have a nice trip after that. Thank goodness! Of course we had some cranky kids at times and tantrums, more than normal, but I guess that's expected when the kids are out of their schedules.

Tuesday we went to Calaveras Big Trees State Park. It was amazing! They had a perfect path for us and our stroller and the boys loved the gigantic sequoia trees. I put a ton of pictures in, I didn't leave many out. I didn't want to.

We're standing on a tree stump, it's huge!




We did this a lot, looking up at the tall tall trees. It's kind of what I have to do when I kiss Ryan!



Seth is my biggest wonderer. My other boys didn't do that so much, they stayed by me much more. Seth just goes off wherever.
It looks like Ryan is standing between two huge dinasaur legs!
We rarely ever get a whole family shot, but a nice passer-byer offered to take a picture for us.

Each of the boys, including Ryan, picked out walking sticks, which were occasionally used as hitting and poking sticks.
This was my favorite spot in the whole park. A perfect place to take in the tall views. I wish all benches were made like this one. It would be a great place for a nap, very comfortable!

Some of these trees were, I don't know, I can't remember very well now, but maybe 1400 years old! This one had fallen over and was decaying away and you could walk through it.

That whole day was so fun! It was the ideal day, in my opinion. We spent the morning and into the afternoon at the big tree park. Then off to a park for a bit for the boys to play around. Then to the local pizza parlor, then back to the resort for swimming. And it had been a hot day, so the pool was nice and warm. Ahhh, it was so great. By far the best day we had there.
The next day was good, but not as good. Swimming and a tour of an old deserted rail station, literally, no one was there! It was like a ghost town! My boys most enjoyed the train table in the gift shop! And it was hot.
We went and saw Mark Twain's cabin. He lived there in a small cabin for a couple years, pretty cool. And it was tiny. Here are the picts.
Seth kept trying to give the donkey his pacifier, it was funny. And I think he/she would have taken it if I'd of let him give it.
The boys on the way home, they were pooped!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Nate here - I really like that last picture in the car. It's always funny to me how little kids can be so full of energy in the car and then you turn around and they're fast asleep

Lacy said...

Great pics, Nanci! Those trees look enormous.

Followers